Treatment for Heavy Bleeding
Heavy periods can be caused by many factors- these include:
- Fibroid growths (see multimedia patient education on the website)
- Adenomyosis (a form on endometriosis where the uterine lining goes deep into uterine wall Creating a larger area of uterine lining, thus more bleeding)
- Uterine polyps
- Tumors (including uterine lining or endometrial cancer) and some is simply called dysfunctional uterine bleeding – with no real cause found.
- A pelvic examination by Harmony Women’s Clinic
- A pap test to exclude cervical causes for bleeding
- A pelvic ultrasound examination
Endometrial Ablation (Novasure)
- Nova Sure® is a quick, safe, and simple procedure to lighten or stop your periods, without the side effects of hormones or the risks of hysterectomy.
- This is a day surgery procedure where a hysteroscopy is performed to check the lining of the uterine wall. The ablation procedure follows immediately, where the uterine lining is exposed to heat which turns the lining into scar tissue, thus limiting or ending the bleeding.
- This procedure does not affect your hormone production; however, it destroys the lining, and is only suited to those who do not wish to have children after the procedure. It is also not contraceptive; thus your individual health circumstances would need to be assessed by Harmony Women’s Clinic to determine your suitability
- In many cases a day surgery procedure “Hysteroscopy with dilatation and curettage” may be required to diagnose and often treat any disease such as removal of small polyps or fibroid growths.
- This procedure entails a light anaesthetic, insertion of a telescope and fluid to expand and investigate uterine wall lining, with the ability to remove any growths, polyps or fibroids in the lining.
- A hysterectomy is a surgical procedure to remove the uterus. It offers a complete cure from menstrual bleeding, but involves major surgery and a period of recovery.
- If a hysterectomy is performed, the ovaries can be left in, thus creating no immediate hormonal side effects or need for hormone replacement therapy. The ovaries can be removed at the time, however individual risk factors including age, family history and past medical history would need to be factored into any decision re the ovaries and Harmony Women’s Clinic will guide you through all the options.